Restaurant de PeerdestalEnjoy in a relaxed atmosphere
Restaurant de Peerdestal in Ellecom is located on the edge of the Veluwe and serves dishes with a modern twist. There is a large terrace and, for colder days, a lovely fireplace.
In the former servants’ rooms above the coach house are three double rooms in authentic atmosphere. Each room has its own toilet and shower. One of the bathrooms is provided with a bath, whereas the room is more spacious, having a sitting corner as well. All rooms overlook the forecourt of Middachten Castle. You cannot imagine a nicer way waking up in the morning. To fully experience the authentic atmosphere of the castle, there is no television, radio or other audio equipment in the rooms.
The wonderful breakfast is served in the breakfast room or, weather permitting, on the terrace with a view of the garden and the castle moat. Breakfast consists of products from the estate. That is, home made jam of fruit from the castle’s garden and eggs from one of the estate’s farmers. Middachten’s staff will personally look after your breakfast.
It goes without saying that Middachten is also a very suitable location for weddings and many gatherings, festivities and dinners.
Middachten Castle, already mentioned in 1190, is strategically located between the high Veluwezoom and the low swampland in the loop of the river Ijssel, being an excellent defence location. It is extraordinary that Middachten has never been sold. Inherited by both male and female lines it has been in the hands of the Steenre, Raesfelt, Reede, Bentinck and now Ortenburg families. In addition to the castle and its forecourt the estate also consists of forests and farms. All buildings which are part of the estate can be recognised by the red and white painted shutters, the colours of the Middachten family’s coat of arms. The year 1673 is important in the history of Middachten. The French troops withdrew after the provincial governor Willem III conquered Bonn by defeating the French. After the castle was destroyed, Godard van Reede rebuilt it between 1694 and 1697. The courtyard was changed into a staircase and closed off with a dome richly decorated with stucco. The castle has not undergone any other basic adjustments since. The interior, however, has been renovated several times in the course of the centuries, in accordance with the demands of time.